The Adoption Consultancy 360 is delighted to confirm autumn dates for our Safety First therapeutic training course for adoptive parents/carers.
“This course came just at the right time for us; we were starting to run out of energy and in our worst moments worrying if we had taken on too much. We know we have so much to learn but it’s given us a spring back in our step for the next part of our family’s journey.” – Adoptive Parent
This four day training programme is for those adoptive parents/carers whose children struggle with relationships – especially those who have experienced attachment problems, trauma, loss and/or separation early in their life.
The course is designed to give adoptive parents/carers both understanding and skills based on neuroscience, attachment theory, and a resilience perspective.
We know that gaining an understanding of developmental trauma and its impact and using supportive therapeutic parenting techniques achieves better outcomes for children and improves the quality of family life for everyone.
The course is delivered by The Adoption Consultancy 360, who work throughout the South West of England. All trainers have extensive clinical experience working therapeutically with children, young people and families in the statutory and independent sectors.
Exeter Autumn Course (Saturday 10am to 4pm)
3 November, 10 November. 17 November, 24 November
Please visit our Training page for more information on commissioned training packages The Adoption Consultancy 360 can deliver for adoptive parents/families (which are eligible for funding via the Adoption Support Fund), as well bespoke training workshops for adoptive parents/carers and professionals.
- Day One – Understanding our needs and those of our children: You and your child’s journey to adoption.
- Day Two – The Brain: Why understanding how it is structured and how it works can help us understand our children. Trauma and loss – Impact on the brain. Introduction to Sensory Integration, processing and sensory attachment.
- Day Three – Revisiting attachment. Inner Working Models. Relationship based play – basic principles and practical.
- Day Four – PACE Parenting, Curiosity and Empathy scenarios. Accepting, attuned and playful scenarios.
Each parent(s) then have a booked time (on another date) for a consultancy session with The Adoption Consultancy 360 to discuss issue(s) regarding their adopted child.
What will adoptive parents/carers achieve?
This four day training course aims to help in:
- Putting attachment and child development into the context for the family
- Explaining the impact of early adversity on brain development
- Explaining how early trauma impacts on a child’s ability to develop security and trust
- Teaching families practical techniques to build positive attachments with their children
- Enabling parents to exchange ideas and obtain mutual support
- Strengthen family well-being and giving hope for the future
This course can be funded through the Adoption Support Fund.
Cost per family £1,250 (both parents attending) or £1,150 for one parent only. This is because we discuss one adopted child per family and follow the child’s journey through its course in life to the present day. In addition the final consultation will aim to include both parents.
Booking and enquiries
To register your interest or to make a booking please contact Emma Hughes, Chris West or Sally Hebeler at The Adoption Consultancy 360 by phone on 01392 362700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will support you through the steps to enable you to attend this course.